This year's theme - Still Climbing Out - seemed particularly relevant when I read through NY Library To Adopt Ad-Supported Toilet Paper and came across the last paragraph:
"Lettieri was surprised to see articles on her toilet paper selection, of all things, spread across the news media: they have appeared as far afield as NPR and New Delhi television. “We did a magnificent renovation here, and we do all these programs, and we get all this publicity because of toilet paper,” ..."
At the same time, it highlights how we undervalue what matters [in the case of the NY Library, a magnificent renovation] unless there's a titillating element. Or a humorous angle.
- There's humor with bathrooms, but also situations such as Why are some restroom doors so confusing?
- There's commitment to pristine restrooms combined with perhaps inhuman scale as described in Roadside Stopper: Can Something Be Too Big in Texas?
- By the way, I'm not sure that Trenton, NJ appreciates how important the customer experience is. Check out City's toilet paper supplies almost wiped out.
- I admire that Cintas believes in the importance of the bathroom and customer experience and holds a Best Restroom Contest. Talk about raising awareness for what a public bathroom space can aspire to!
- Imagine the important role that these 13 Loneliest Outhouses on Earth play for some wandering about the wilderness.
- You'll get a giggle out of Shanghai’s Great 1,200 Foot Building, and Its Bathroom.
And, on a more serious note, imagine the possibilities associated with reinventing the bathroom. The Coming Global Toilet Boom will have you thinking about the future.
Although we're just getting going in focusing on the customer experience, 'still climbing out' holds. Despite the resolutions and the true successes, situations such as 'United Breaks Guitars' or How to Lose IBM Customers: Preposterous Verizon Customer Experience are more the norm than the exception.
How would you ensure that you actually climb out and deliver a memorable customer experience?
If you come across other interesting bathroom examples - especially those with intriguing visuals - won't you pin them to the board I created for the Bathroom Blogfest?
Happy Bathroom Blogfest 2012!